Friday, March 2, 2012

Search Google ... Privately

I have always had a small concern about search engines and ISP's keeping track of who I am and where I search. It became more evident when Google announced the changes to their privacy policies. Simple solution if you are concerned - don't use Google search if you have a Gmail account (or Google account). However, from what I read, Google only uses the search history to tailor ads to your IP address - they do not have your authorization to share or sell your search records to 3rd parties. The option I may be using myself ... just to separate my searches from Google is to use Start Page  https://www.startpage.com/eng/ . This search engine is developed by ixquick - one of the services that does not keep track of your searches and prides themselves as a truly private search engine. I do like their star rating system - where they rate your search results with other search engines that have the same result in their top search outcomes. Check both sites out www.ixquick.com and www.startpage.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment